Contribute to the oversight and delivery of health care services and the academic mission in the Department of Radiology through leadership and management of clinical/technical specialty services, revenue cycle, support services, clinical education, and research programs. Lead and manage functions to assure that health services, medical care, medical/health professions education, and research programs are delivered effectively and efficiently. Efforts are focused on planning, organizing, directing, evaluating, and improving health care operations, clinical education programs and research programs. Responsible for the administrative interface and coordination of operations with Hospital Administration and the Carver College of Medicine Administration.
- Develop strategy for budget priorities for multiple clinical, education and research functions and negotiate among them to address resource issues
- Hold unit leaders, clinical division, research, and education leaders accountable for managing budget
- Work with internal and external leaders to address and resolve budget issues
- Seek methods to enhance revenue
- Develop collegiate and hospital budgets; assess needs for short and long-term capital equipment, and personnel resources. Meet budgetary targets.
- Ensure maintenance and adherence to regulatory standards set by state, federal, UIHC, and University policies and procedures. Understand and practice “Lean” standards for clinical and academic operations.
- Identify opportunities for administrative operations improvement
- Support the University of Iowa Center for Advancement in securing and managing gifts and endowments to the Radiology Department; ensure that University policies and procedures are followed in relation to gift and grant awards and expenditures.
- Serve as advisor to the Departmental Executive Officer in planning clinical and fiscal operations and provide direction and supervision as required to implement fiscal operations for state funds, private practice earnings, research funds, gifts and hospital budgets
- Oversee administration of federal and non-federal grants and contracts
Patient Care/Service Delivery
- Work in collaboration with department vice chairs across multiple clinical functions including medical directors to implement best care practices and new models of care/service
- Address implementation issues across clinical functions and with other departments
- In collaboration with the Department Executive Officer and hospital leadership, establish and enforce policies and procedures, ensuring that the services are reviewed regularly and in compliance with UIHC, College of Medicine, The Joint Commission, and other regulatory agencies
- Assure communication and coordination among Radiology services to manage operational issues and provide leadership and accountability to patient care services
- Oversee implementation of Departmental administrative policies and procedures for all patient care programs and investigate, monitor and measure satisfaction of patients and visitors
- Oversee and assure compliance of safety regulations
- Work collaboratively with the review of outpatient health care delivery. Identify systematic problems with health care delivery, recommend solutions, and implement changes in the facilities, services, and staff
- Act as a liaison for the patient and Radiology services, resolve concerns and complaints in a timely manner
- Investigate quality of care problems and provide follow-up with patients/families and staff as delegated to assure patient satisfaction
- Model and promote the Service Excellence model for patient care and staff satisfaction
Planning and Goal Management
- Work with Departmental Executive Officer and other administrative staff to develop departmental strategic plan and integrate it with other functions; guide managers in developing action plans for implementation; monitor progress to goal completion.
- Assure integration of goals across functions
- Efficiently plan, direct and coordinate all administrative functions of Radiology in concert with the Departmental Executive Officer
- Collaborate with the Departmental Executive Officer and the senior College, UIP and hospital leadership to formulate and keep Radiology strategic plan current
- Collaborate with the Departmental Executive Officer and Hospital and UIP leadership to identify opportunities for growth and in the development of new programs and services
- Implement business plans, monitor their success. Develop, monitor and administer the capital and operating budgets. Evaluate and promote cost management strategies and other initiatives to improve operational efficiency.
- Define, develop and direct Radiology goals and programs to provide for excellent patient services and satisfaction scores
Human Resource Management
- In collaboration with Departmental HR Representative(s) works across multiple clinical functions and with medical, collegiate and hospital leaders to ensure a consistent approach to HR management
- Hold unit leaders accountable for high performance and high engagement by articulating expectations, monitoring performance and providing feedback consistently across areas of responsibility
- Approve resource allocations and staffing models. In collaboration with human resources, facilitate use of analytical tools and analysis related to workforce utilization and productivity and other operational metrics relevant to the workforce
- Oversee building and updating clinical workforce models aligned with clinical demand and efficiency.
- Analyze, evaluate, recommend and implement changes in existing programs. Participate in the development of the organizational structure for achieving departmental objectives.
- Establish policies and programs that demonstrate a commitment to an inclusive environment that attracts and retains a diverse workforce and nurtures a culture where employees feel valued and is able to function at his/her best. Ensure all leaders are accountable for developing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Responsible for the recruitment of faculty and staff to maintain an appropriate skill mix and number of staff; evaluate the performance of employees and provide feedback to the service unit leadership, detect and address performance problems and provide recommendations regarding disciplinary actions and discharge of personnel, as necessary.
- Working closely and collaboratively with Human Resources, oversee and approve all personnel related transactions including performance evaluations, salary increases and reclassifications
- Schedule and direct work activities of supporting professional and administrative staff
- Evaluate succession planning and leadership development programs
Communication & Collaboration
- Engage and collaborate with physicians to identify opportunities for improvement, program development and capital budgeting
- Communicate with external agencies and constituencies to address issues and answer questions
- Serve as liaison among multiple clinical functions, research, and education units to support collaboration in identifying opportunities for improvement and program development
- Manage the relationship between staff, medical staff and UI Health Care leadership in a positive manner
- Consult and participate with the Department Executive Officer and Division Directors in planning and policy sessions on programs relating to instruction, research, patient care and administrative activities
- Provide administrative interface and actively collaborate with Carver College of Medicine administration, UIHC Administration, UI CMS, VA Medical Center administration and other administrative staff inside and outside of the University
- Represent Radiology in meetings or on committees within UIHC and College of Medicine
- Actively participate in professional associations
- Model and promote system change across campus to promote professional conduct and behavior of the highest integrity, exhibiting the utmost respect for all members of the University community; demonstrate consistency of action and purpose with unquestionable forthrightness
- Communicate expectations and provide support and resources that are in alignment with the vision and strategic planning of the UI Health Care to foster innovation and efficiency in the workplace
Education Programs and Research Administration
- Administer clinical education and residency programs
- Provide education, direction and support for the department to ensure compliance with state, federal and accreditation agency standards
- Initiate and execute appropriate staff level development initiatives to drive quality care and patient satisfaction
- Foster a culture of continuous learning through strategic planning, shared governance, innovative best practices, and the promotion of knowledge development; provide resources for and establish expectations that managers and supervisors will act as stewards of employees’ professional development
- Develop pre-award support services to enable efficient development and submission of grant applications
- Administer multiple research grants and contracts awards in a variety of disciplines
Master’s degree in Hospital and Health Administration, or Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least seven (7) years of comprehensive progressive healthcare leadership/administrative experience
- Expertise in financial management, data analysis, practice management, and human resources
- Experience with budget preparation and implementation
- Demonstrated ability to drive organizational change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated job-related experience with and/or commitment to diversity in the work/academic environment
- Eight to 10 years of progressive healthcare leadership/administrative experience.
- Previous Radiology management experience
- Previous experience in an academic medical center
- Expertise in physician compensation and reimbursement, grants management and revenue cycle management
- Previous experience in the administration and management of primary care clinical settings
- Previous experience with strategic planning
- Demonstrated results in improving patient satisfaction levels
- Demonstrated results in improving access and clinical operations
- Experience managing in a matrix reporting and unionized environment
- Membership in the Medical Group Management Association or American College of Healthcare Executives
This Job Post expires on Wednesday May 20th, 2020